When it comes to mopping and the effectiveness of it in keeping your tiles clean, there are quite often two sides to the argument. Many will argue that it does indeed keep your tiles clean whilst others stand by the notion that mopping will only help to make your tiles appear clean; not actually keep them clean.
In order to help you form a more educated opinion on the matter, we’ll be discussing key pros and cons to mopping and, if it’s really enough to keep your tiles clean.
Firstly, what do we mean by ‘clean’?
Keeping something clean can mean different things depending on who you’re talking to. When it comes to your floors, many people will just take them for face value – if they look clean, they must be clean. Little do they realise that thousands of microscopic germs can be harbouring just below their feet.
When we refer to something being clean, we are more so referring to taking the effort to remove as many germs and bacteria that you possibly can. This means not simply wiping over a surface to remove the obvious stain, spill or dirt.
Pros of mopping
- Not very time consuming
- A lot can be achieved with minimal effort
- Tiles will appear clean
- Great for removing immediate spills and dirt
- Can be effective in fighting against bacteria and germs if done correctly
Cons of mopping
- Although your tiles will appear clean, they will still be swarmed with germs and bacteria
- Wetting the grout in between the tiles will cause a build-up of mould
- Quite often dirty mop water will be used to ‘clean’ the other tiles
- If not disinfected properly, mops can be very unhygienic
- Doesn’t help to bring back the natural shine in your tiles
Mopping can be great for a short-term solution when you need your tiles cleaned before a visitor comes over or when someone spills something on the floor. It’s important to keep in mind that you should always try to disinfect your mop and ensure that the water you’re using isn’t too dirty. Although this will be effective in making your tiles appear clean, it won’t do anything for their sanitary state.
A great way to help keep your tiles truly clean would be to request the services of a professional tile cleaning company. At Wizard Tile & Grout Cleaning W.A, we specialise in the meticulous cleaning of your tiles and grout. Give us a call today on 0400 634 609 to find out how we can help to keep your home clean and sanitised! You can also leave us an enquiry HERE.